Ph.D., Political Science, University of Pennsylvania, 1998. Nationalism, gender studies, urban studies
Phone: 0312 290 1266
- A. Cinar, Turkey: Producing Globalization Locally, New York: Routledge, (2009).
- A. Cinar, Modernity,Secularism and Islam in Turkey:Bodies,Places and Time, Univ of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, (2005).
- A. Cinar, “State Building as an Urban Experience: The Making of Ankara”, Power and Architecture, M. Minkenberg (Eds.), pp. 227-260, Berghahn Books, New York – Oxford (2014)
- A. Cinar, “The Imagined Community as Urban Reality: The Making of Ankara”, Urban Imaginaries: Locating the Modern City, A. Cinar, T. Bender (Eds.), pp. 151-181, Minnesotta: University of Minnesotta Press (2007)
- A. Cinar, T. Bender, “Introduction, The City: Experience, Imagination, and Place”, Urban Imaginaries: Locating the Modern City, A. Cinar, T. Bender (Eds.), pp. 11-26, Minnesota: University of Minnesota Press (2007)
- A. Cinar, B. Arikan, “Nationalist Action Party: Representing the State, the Nation or the Nationalists?”, Political Parties, Civil Society, and Democracy in Turkey, M.Heper, B.Rubin (Eds.), pp. 25-40, Frank Cass Publishers (2002)
- E. Ozbudun, A. Cinar, “Mesut Yilmaz: From Ozals Shadow to Mediator”, Political Leadership and Democracy in Turkey, M.Heper, S. Sayari (Eds.), pp. 181-198, Lanham, Maryland: Lexington Books (2002)
- A. Cinar, “Nostalgia for the Modern: State Secularism and Everyday Politics in Turkey” , by E. Ozyurek, Durham: Duke University Press, 227, 2006, in Int J of Turkish Studies, 14, (2008).
- A. Cinar, “The Politics of Public Memory in Turkey” , by E. Ozyurek, Syracuse University Press, 225, 2007, in Int J of Turkish Studies, 14, (2008).
- A. Cinar, “Rethinking Islam and Liberal Democracy: Islamist Women in Turkish Politics” , by Y. Arat, Albany, New York: State Univ of New York Press, 159, 2005, in Int J of Middle East Studies, 38, (2006).
- A. Cinar, “The myth of the military-nation: Militarism, gender, and education in Turkey” , by Altinay, Ayse Gul, New York: Palgrave MacMilllan, 206, 2004, in International Journal of Middle East Studies, 38, (2006).
- A. Cinar, “Fragments of Culture: The Everyday of Modern Turkey” , by D. Kandiyoti, A. Saktanbar, New York: I.B. Tauris&Co Publishers, 350, 2002, in H-Gender-MidEast, (2003).
- A. Cinar, “Negotiating the foundations of the modern state: the emasculated citizen and the call for a post-patriarchal state at Gezi protests”, Theory and Society, 48, 453-482 (2019) PDF
- A. Cinar, H. Tas, “Politics of Nationhood and the Displacement of the Founding Moment: Contending Histories of the Turkish Nation”, Comparative Studies in Society & History, 59, 657-689 (2017) PDF
- A. Cinar, “The Justice and Development Party: Turkey’s Experience with Islam, Democracy, Liberalism, and Secularism”, Int J of Middle Eastern Studies, 43, 529-541 (2011) PDF
- A. Cinar, “Subversion and Subjugation in the Public Sphere: Secularism and the Islamic Headscarf”, Signs: J of Women in Culture and Society, 33, 891-913 (2008)
- A. Cinar, “Secularism and Islamic Modernism in Turkey”, Etnografica, 10, 85-96 (2006)
- A. Cinar, B. Arikan, “The Nationalist Action Party: Representing the State, the Nation or the Nationalists?”, Turkish Studies, 3, 25-40 (2002)
- A. Cinar, “National history as a contested site: the conquest of Istanbul and Islamist contestations of secularism”, Comparative Studies in Society & History, 43, 364-391 (2001)